[Automated-testing] Looking for a Debian kernel provisioning solution

Rees, Kevron kevron.m.rees at intel.com
Fri Jan 26 14:59:17 PST 2018

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:38 PM,  <Tim.Bird at sony.com> wrote:

> [...]

Yes.  So either the board itself has to be able to output console
information over serial, or grub has to be configured to do so.  I
haven't personally done grub yet.  It's possible and it's on my list
of things to figure out since we have some boards that do not have a
bios that supports serial output.

> Does the grub for mbt have to be specially built for this, or is this
> a feature of a grub binary that's already available?  That is,
> does the default grub that comes in Intel images have
> support for serial console?

Grub has to be built with network support (and serial support if you
use that).  We actually used a grub net boot efi file from ubuntu.

> Does LAVA already have the kernel and initramfs (pre-built) that I can
> just grab, or is this something I have to build myself?

They do.  We built our own, however.  It just needs to have network
support, wget and dd.  We built ours with bmaptool also since it's
faster at flashing than dd.

> Is this sequence of operations upstreamed anywhere?  Could I find
> it in the LAVA repos, or is this Intel custom stuff?

Everything except for the lava device-type are upstream.  We had to
modify the x86-grub device type to make it work with this usb flash
disk workflow.  We are working on upstreaming this new x86 device type
with corresponding lava test job examples.

It is also possible you can supply your kernel and initramfs and run
tests on the initramfs in memory.  That is a popular workflow with
lava.  We needed to install to USB because I/O operations affect
real-time latency in real life and we wanted our tests to reflect
reality as much as possible.