[Automated-testing] Looking for a Debian kernel provisioning solution

Kieran Bingham kbingham at kernel.org
Thu Jan 25 14:11:10 PST 2018

Hi Paul,

On 25/01/18 21:58, Paul Barker wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 6:46 AM, Robert Schwebel
> <r.schwebel at pengutronix.de> wrote:
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 10:21:01PM +0000, Bird, Timothy wrote:
>>> So, I want to test LTS kernels on a MinnowBoard Turbot....
>>>
>>> I'm looking for a board farm solution that can handle
>>> building a mainline (or LTS) kernel, and deploy it to the MinnowBoard,
>>> and reboot the board to a Linux shell prompt.
>>>
>>> The board is running Ubuntu 16.04.3, using a 4.4 Linux kernel by default,
>>> and uses grub2, with OS software coming from a micro-SD card.
>>> I have power control of the board, and serial console, and a network
>>> connection (with ssh).
>>>
>>> The upstream kernels archive of Ubuntu have the software that I'll need.
>>>
>>> But I'm wondering if there's existing board farm software (e.g. labgrid)
>>> that can handle the intricacies of installing a newly built kernel onto
>>> the board, and rebooting it.
>>
>> We use the Minnowboard Max for realtime testing with labgrid, and for
>> the automatic setup we use an SD-USB-Mux:
>>
>> https://www.pengutronix.de/en/2017-10-23-usb-sd-mux-automated-sd-card-juggler.html
>>
>> In fact, we still don't have a proper way of selling them, but if you
>> send me your address, you'll probably be added to our beta tester
>> program :-)
>
> This looks to be one part of what I need for Raspberry Pi
> kernel/rootfs testing right now. I would buy a handful if they go on
> sale.
>
> Do you have a solution for automating the "Powercycle your target"
> step? I've had my eye on the power measurement kit that BayLibre
> designed (https://www.tindie.com/products/BayLibre/acme-power-measurement-kit/)
> since ELCE a few months ago but it's still not available.

I have an ACME which I really like using, as it has immediate cut-off
(switch-after power brick), and of course provides power measurement facility too.

However, I also have two of these:
	https://energenie4u.co.uk/catalogue/product/ENER011

(I believe at least EU versions are available too) - which I have connected to a
RaspberryPi as a controller.

Being able to switch at the plug-socket level makes it very easy to just
'plug-and-play'

I'll add this to the eLinux-wiki (https://elinux.org/Board_Farm#power_control)

Kieran