[Automated-testing] RFC - Automated Testing Summit proposal

Michal Simek michal.simek at xilinx.com
Wed Apr 11 00:25:14 PDT 2018

Hi Tim,

On 10.4.2018 21:44, Tim.Bird at sony.com wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm proposing to put together an Automated Testing Summit sometime this fall (2018).
> I've put together a page of information about the event so far, at:
> https://elinux.org/Automated_Testing_Summit
>
> My preference is to include this in a larger event, such as Plumbers or ELCE.
> This e-mail is just an initial notification of my intent to try to put this together.
> I'd like to gauge interest in the event, and see what larger event works best
> for people.
>
> If you are interested in this, please either respond to this e-mail, or (better)
> add your name to the wiki page under "interested in attending".  Sorry,
> but expressing interest does not guarantee an invitation to the event.
> I'm still not sure, at this point, whether the summit will be open to the public
> or invitation-only.  It's all still in flux.  Suggestions or pros/cons on this
> topic are welcome.

I don't think this topic should be for invitation only people. The
reason is that a lot of people has hw at home which will be the best to
use for testing.
I am working for Xilinx which has own boardfarm solution for years and I
have also my own boardfarm. I have tested your fuego project, also
Linaro Lava, running U-Boot pytest framework and following all these
discussions to be aware what's going on. It is clear that there is a big
gap on supporting hardware side, SW/CI side and also testcase side and
we should all work together to fill these gaps.

Definitely I would like to see on that list someone from u-boot
community because bootloader testing is the part of this effort too.

> If the event is at Plumbers, it would probably be a micro-conference inside
> that event - one day of Nov 13-15, in Vancouver, Canada.
>
> If the summit is at ELC Europe, it could be before, during or after ELC Europe,
> in Edinburgh, Scotland, October 22-24 (most
> likely not before, since Oct 22 is a Monday).  Given that ELCE is already
> co-located with OpenIOT Europe, and Open Source Summit Europe, I'm
> pretty sure the venue will be maxed out, so we may be looking at trying
> to get space near the event venue (rather that in it).  (Speaking as an organizer
> of ELCE - I don't think I can get a room for a whole day inside the ELCE
> tracks or not.  I think it would push out too many other talks.)
>
> If you have an opinion on which venue works best for you, please respond.
> Also, if you have an alternate event you'd like to propose for this to be
> co-located at (e.g. Linaro connect, kernel recipes, FOSDEM, etc.), that would
> be great to hear about as well.

TBH it looks like that testing topic/track/minisummit should be the part
of all these conferences. I don't think that one summit will solve all
these problems. At ELCE there were some testing topics (IIRC at least
4). At ELC you had others. I have seen your presentation about Fuego at
Linaro Connect last year. It means as you see these topics are already
there. Definitely having one event with proper structure to cover all
parts would help everybody.

Thanks,
Michal