The MPC8315 PowerPC reference platform (MPC8315E-RDB) is aimed at hardware and software development of network attached storage (NAS) and digital media server applications. The MPC8315E-RDB features the PowerQUICC II Pro processor, which includes a built-in security accelerator.
NOTE: ou may find it easier to order MPC8315E-RDBA; this appears to be the same board in an enclosure with accessories. In any case it is fully compatible with the instructions given here.
You will need the following:
- NFS root setup on your workstation.
- TFTP server installed on your workstation.
- A Straight-thru 9-conductor serial cable (DB9, M/F) connected from your PC to UART1
- Ethernet connected to the first ethernet port on the board.
NOTE: if you have altered your board's ethernet MAC address(es) from the defaults, or you need to do so because you want multiple boards on the same network, then you will need to change the values in the dts file (patch linux/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc8315erdb.dts within the kernel source). If you have left them at the factory default then you shouldn't need to do anything here.
Booting from NFS root
Load the kernel and dtb (device tree blob), and boot the system as follows:
- Get the kernel (uImage-mpc8315e-rdb.bin) and dtb (uImage-mpc8315e-rdb.dtb) files from the tmp/deploy directory, and make them available on your TFTP server.
- Connect the board's first serial port to your workstation and then start up your favorite serial terminal so that you will be able to interact with the serial console. If you don't have a favorite, picocom is suggested:
$ picocom /dev/ttyUSB0 -b 115200
- Power up or reset the board and press a key on the terminal when prompted to get to the U-Boot command line.
- Set up the environment in U-Boot:
=> setenv ipaddr
=> setenv serverip
=> setenv bootargs root=/dev/nfs rw nfsroot=: ip=:::255.255.255.0:mpc8315e:eth0:off console=ttyS0,115200
- Download the kernel and dtb, and boot:
=> tftp 1000000 uImage-mpc8315e-rdb.bin
=> tftp 2000000 uImage-mpc8315e-rdb.dtb
=> bootm 1000000 - 2000000