The Yocto Project welcomes support and participation from partners large and small. Everyone is free to participate in it, as is the nature of open source. The management and decision-making processes of the project are transparent and defined primarily to ensure the project can actively make decisions.
Yocto Project Goals:
- To provide a place of collaboration for open source projects that further the development of customizable Linux platforms and embedded-style Linux-based systems.
- To encourage standardization and reuse of existing components for Linux platform development.
- To focus on creating one build system infrastructure and technology that addresses the needs of all users and adds missing functionality where identified and practical and is derived from the OpenEmbedded architecture.
- To identify key areas of missing functionality in the tools that cover customized Linux product development ranging from experimentation and proof of concept through application development and production.
- To document the methods and tools available and to enable users to easily use them.
- To ensure as much as possible that the tooling for these developments is architecturally independent.
- To further educate the community about the benefits of this standardization and collaboration in the Linux community and industry.
The Yocto Project hosts several levels of participation, including membership on the Advisory Board for Linux Foundation corporate members. The Yocto Project recognizes that being part of its governing body might not be practical or desirable for everyone, but we’d still like to recognize partners who share the Yocto Project’s objectives and technical direction for customizable embedded Linux.